Lab 2 Pre-Lab Exercise:
Before lab review the functional morphology of a vertebra.
- Find the spinous and transverse processes, superior and inferior articular facets, the body, pedicles, and laminae.
- Note the differences between cervical, lumbar, thoracic, and sacral vertebrae and acquire at least a general idea of the movements possible in each of these four segments of the vertebral column.
- Note how these segments grade into each other.
Study an articulated skeleton and note that each rib has two synovial articulations with the vertebrae:
- One between the head of the rib and the vertebral bodies
- One between the tubercle of the rib and a transverse process.
Look at the ventral surface of a skeleton and locate the following structures:
- Manubrium, body, and xiphoid process of the sternum
- 2nd and 5th intercostal spaces.