Crowell Quad Council Info
Crowell Quadrangle Constitution:See Here
Crowell Quad Council Meeting Minutes:Minutes for 09/11 Meeting
THE CONSTITUTION OF
CROWELL QUADRANGLE COUNCIL
at DUKE UNIVERSITY
As representatives of the residential student body, the Duke University Crowell Quadrangle Council is dedicated to providing activities and support for students through active leadership in the community. As the primary governing body of quadrangle life issues, we strive to enhance quadrangle life by implementing fair and thoughtful policies, in addition to providing quality programming throughout the year. Along with other quadrangles and under the umbrella organization of Campus Council, it is our goal to make living on campus a safe, educational, and an enjoyable experience for all.
QUADRANGLE GOVERNANCE STRUCTURE
· The Quadrangle Council is the primary governing and programming body for the quadrangle.
· The Council is responsible for building community within the quad through the dual roles of governance and programming.
· The primary purpose of the Quadrangle Council is to promote a greater feeling of community within the quadrangle.
· The Quadrangle Council is required to hold weekly meetings; the Quadrangle Council communications coordinator will keep a record of the members in attendance at each weekly meeting.
· The Council shall represent all members of the quad and include an elected executive board consisting of at least a President, Treasurer, Communications Chair, and one Campus Council Representative.
· The Council shall also consist of hall representatives. These representatives will be proportional to resident population (one rep for every RA. Crowell Quadrangle Council may add additional officers where deemed.
· Elected executive quadrangle officers will be required to attend a pre-scheduled training session designed to facilitate leadership, program, and community development.
· Crowell Quadrangle Council shall adhere to the expectations outlined in the Duke University Information and Regulations Bulletin.
· The Executive Board shall consist of the President, Vice President, Communications Coordinator, Campus Council Representative and Treasurer.
· The executive board will be elected according to the guidelines established under the Campus Council Constitution.
· Each executive board member shall have one vote. However, executive board members do not need to send a proxy in their absence.
All members of Crowell Quadrangle Council must meet the following requirements:
· No member may be of First Year status the academic year s/he is to serve.
· Each member must have lived in University housing or at least one academic year at the time s/he is to take office and must live in University housing during his or her term.
· No member may be a Resident Assistant.
Powers, Responsibilities, and Requirements of the President
· The executive powers of Crowell Quadrangle Council shall be entrusted to the President.
· The President shall have a working knowledge of the Crowell Quadrangle Council Constitutional Articles and provisions.
· The President shall appoint executive board replacements for the remainder of the academic year in the event an office is vacated. Advice and consent of 2/3 of the voting membership present at the announced meeting is required.
· The President shall call all meetings of Crowell Quadrangle Council and of the Executive Board. S/he also shall call meetings to order and preside over them.
· It is the responsibility of the President and the executive board to plan the agenda for each meeting.
Responsibilities and Requirements of the Vice President
· The Vice President shall assist the President in completing his/her duties.
· The Vice President shall serve as acting President in the event that the President is unable to carry out his/her duties.
· The Vice President shall complete the term of President in the event that the President is unable to carry out his/her office at any time during the term.
Responsibilities and Requirements of the Communications Coordinator
· The Communications Coordinator shall take minutes, as well as roll call, at all meetings.
· The Communications Coordinator shall report minutes at each meeting and/or distribute such minutes via email.
· The Communications Coordinator shall maintain a file of the minutes and necessary records of the Council and shall make this file available upon request of any member.
· The Communications Coordinator shall manage the Campus Council constituency email system.
Responsibilities and Requirements of the Treasurer
· The Treasurer shall prepare and present a clear and concise report of all financial transactions of Crowell Quadrangle Council after any money is allocated or whenever deemed necessary by the President or by Crowell Quadrangle Council.
· The Treasurer shall make the books, or any other financial information of the Council, available upon request of any member.
· The Treasurer shall allocate funds only with the consent of 2/3 of the voting membership present at the announced meeting.
· The Treasurer shall prepare a financial report at the end of each academic semester.
Responsibilities and Requirements of Quadrangle Council Representatives to Campus Council
· The elected voting Quadrangle Council Representative shall have one vote on Campus Council.
· The Campus Council Representative shall represent his/her Crowell Quadrangle Council and shall report Campus Council issues, concerns, and events to the Council.
· The Campus Council Representative shall adhere to all the guidelines and provisions of the Campus Council Constitution.
RA Representatives to Crowell Quadrangle Council
· RA representatives to Crowell Quadrangle Council shall be elected by their respective hallways.
· RA Representatives shall have one vote each.
On the Failure of Executive Officers to Fulfill Duties
All members are required and expected to attend every Crowell Quadrangle meeting. Executive officers cannot miss more than two unexcused meetings per semester. All excused absences must be submitted to the President by midnight the day before the meeting. In the event that the requirements stipulated for any Executive officer are not met, then the following provisions will be applied:
· All requirements not fulfilled by any Executive officer shall go to the members of the Executive board, excluding the member in question, for full review.
· Upon review, the Executive board, excluding the officer in question, will vote on appropriate sanctions.
· The Executive board shall determine a specific time by which these sanctions must be fulfilled.
· In the event that the Executive officer in question fails to abide by these measures, then he/she shall forfeit his or her Executive position, and will be rendered ineligible for future Crowell Quadrangle Council Executive positions.
On the Failure of RA Representatives to Crowell Quadrangle Council to Fulfill Duties
All members are required and expected to attend every Crowell Quadrangle Council meeting. RA Representatives to Quadrangle Council cannot miss more than two unexcused meetings per semester. All excused absences must be submitted to the President by midnight the day before the meeting. In the event that the requirements stipulated for any representative are not met, then the following provisions will be applied:.
· All requirements not fulfilled by any RA Representative to Crowell Quadrangle Council shall go to the members of the Executive board, for full review.
· Upon review, the Executive board will vote on appropriate sanctions.
· The Executive board shall determine a specific time by which these sanctions must be fulfilled.
· In the event that the RA Representative in question fails to abide by these measures, then he/she shall forfeit his or her position, and will be rendered ineligible for future Crowell Quadrangle Council Executive and RA Representative positions.
· The Quadrangle Council shall have the right to initiate projects for the undergraduate residents of Crowell.
· The Quadrangle Council shall have the right to enact any measures necessary and proper to promote the general welfare of Crowell Residents.
· The Quadrangle Council shall establish its own meeting times, provided that it shall meet at least once per week or as deemed necessary by the President.
· The Quadrangle Council shall adhere to a two-thirds (2/3) quorum of voting representatives prior to voting on any legislation, fund expenditures, and/or amendments to this constitution.
· The Campus Council shall adhere to the following parliamentary procedures:
1. Any voting representative can make a motion and/or second a motion, with the condition that an individual cannot second his/her own motion.
2. Prior to a motion being made, general discussion regarding the issue at hand shall take place.
3. A motion regarding the issue is then made. If the motion receives a second, discussion of that specific motion shall follow, if needed.
4. A vote on that motion shall then be called by the President, unless the motion involves the allocation of funds; if the motion involves the allocation of funds, a vote on that motion shall be called by the Treasurer.
5. A motion involving the allocation of funds requires an affirmative vote of two-thirds of the voting membership present at the announced meeting to pass. A motion not involving the allocation of funds requires affirmative votes by a simple majority of the voting membership present at the announced meeting to pass.
Crowell Quadrangle Council must follow the provisions stated in the Campus Council Constitution regarding programming requirements and appropriate use of funds.
This Constitution may be amended by a majority vote of those Crowell Quadrangle Council members eligible to vote on the proposed amendment. A total of two-thirds (2/3) of members must ratify the new amendment.
Amendment I: Three Strikes Policy
All elected Quad Council members are expected to attend all weekly scheduled Quad Council meetings.
If an elected member must miss a meeting, prior notice must be submitted via email to the Quad Council Secretary at least 3 hours in advance of the meeting.
After one missed meeting without notification, the Quad Council Secretary will send an email warning to said member.
After three missed meetings without notification, the Quad Council member will be asked to submit their letter of resignation to the Quad Council President. If said member does not willingly resign, they can appear before the full Quad Council board and present their case for remaining on the Quad Council board. After this presentation, the Quad Council will vote to retain or alleviate said member from the Quad Council. A 2/3 vote of quorum is necessary for removal of said Quad Council member.
RATIFICATION AND REVIEW
This Constitution shall be ratified by a simple majority of the voting representatives of Crowell Quadrangle Council of Duke University. This Constitution shall be reviewed at any point in time an article becomes obsolete.
Updated and ratified October 2007.