Grants For Graduate Study And Research Abroad


  • Applicants must be U.S. Citizens at the time of application.
  • Preference is given to applicants whose higher education was undertaken primarily at educational institutions in the United States. Foreign study during the junior year or other periods of undergraduate study that are integral parts of the curricula of American institutions is not considered disqualifying.
  • Preference is usually given to candidates who have not resided or studied in the country to which they are applying for more than six months. Duty abroad in the Armed Forces of the United States is not considered disqualifying within the meaning of this section.
  • Applicants must have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed study project. Such proficiency is especially important to students wishing to undertake projects in the social sciences and the humanities.
  • Applicants must be in good health. Grantees are required to submit a satisfactory Certificate of Health from a physician.
  • Applicants must hold a B.A. or equivalent degree before the beginning date of the grant. Applicants may not hold a doctoral degree at the time of application. Exceptions:
    • Applicants who have not earned a B.A. degree or the equivalent, but who have extensive professional study and/or experience in fields in which they wish to pursue a project, may be considered.
    • In the creative and performing arts, four years of professional study and/or experience meets the basic eligibility requirement.
    • Applicants in medicine must have an M.D. or the equivalent (e.g., D.D.S., O.D.) degree at the time of application.
  • Note: Doctors of medicine who wish primarily to continue medical or hospital training or to obtain additional practical clinical experience abroad should apply to IIE. A scholar with an M.D. degree who has completed his formal postgraduate training and proposes attachment to a hospital or clinic for the purpose of independent or collaborative research should apply to the Council for International Exchange of Scholars.
  • Applicants may hold a J.D. degree at the time of application.

    Persons ineligible to apply for a Fulbright Grant include:

  • Full-time permanent employees of the United States Department of State and members of their immediate family. Part-time or temporary employees of the above should check with the IIE.
  • Persons residing in Australia, Belgium, Cameroon, Canada, Finland, Hungary, Luxembourg, Mexico, New Zealand, Sweden, Switzerland or the United Kingdom at the time of application.

back to the top