Grants For Graduate Study And Research Abroad


Where do I obtain a Fulbright Application Form?

The application form is available online from the Institute of International Education (IIE). You are given access to the application form once you have completed the Fulbright registration process. For your application to be considered, you must submit it both electronically and in hard copy.

What do I need to submit by the Campus Deadline (Wednesday, September 21, 4.00 p.m.)?

The completed application form and all supporting materials (letters of recommendation; foreign language reports (if required); Duke and other transcripts) are due Wednesday, September 21, 2005 (4.00 p.m.). Applicants in the creative and the performing arts need also to submit the Supplemental Material Record Form, as well as materials described on that form.

NOTE: Letters of recommendation and all transcripts must be ORIGINAL. Fulbright does not accept faxed or emailed letters of recommendation.

Where do I submit my application?

Your hard-copy application and all supporting materials should be mailed to: Nancy Hare Robbins, Duke University Center for International Studies, Box 90404, Duke University, Durham NC 27708-0404 OR hand-delivered on campus to: Nancy Hare Robbins, Room 105, John Hope Franklin Center at 2204 Erwin Road.

NOTE: Letters of recommendation are confidential. Hand-delivered original letters of recommendation must be in sealed envelopes that are signed by the referee on the back flap.

Can I modify my application once it is submitted?


What are letters of affiliation?

You are allowed to submit copies of correspondence you have developed with people or institutions in your prospective host country. If you are proposing to study abroad for a year, this might include letters you have received from a university admissions office or from faculty who teach the classes you hope to take. If you are proposing a research project, this might include letters from a professor you hope to work with or an archivist in charge of the sources you wish to consult. These letters can be crucially important. They might be from an NGO saying that you will be welcome to use an office and computer during your Fulbright year; from a professor saying that he or she is willing to supervise your research project if you get a Fulbright, etc. These letters should be signed originals on the letterhead of the person or organization to which you wish to be affiliated. THE FULBRIGHT U.S. STUDENT PROGRAM WILL NOT ACCEPT FAXED OR MAILED MATERIALS FROM ANY SOURCE. Duke will accept faxed or mailed letters of affiliation, but these must be replaced by signed originals by the Fulbright national deadline.

If you are unsure about what constitutes affiliation correspondence, please email Nancy Hare Robbins (nhare@duke.edu).

Do I need to use the supplemental forms?

It depends. If your application requires foreign language proficiency, you must print out the Foreign Language Report and have it completed by a qualified instructor (not necessarily from Duke) who teaches that language.

The References Form includes useful instructions for your recommendation letter writers and reminds you to provide a draft of your proposal to these individuals. You should make sure your writers have these instructions and your completed application including your project proposal and curriculum vitae. They do not need to write their letter on this form, nor do we need one of these forms for each letter. Recommendation writers are free to write letters on their personal or departmental letterhead as long as it is clear just who they are (i.e., their title, university/business affiliation, etc.).

The Supplemental Material Record Form is only for applicants in the creative & performing arts (there are detailed instructions on-line on how to fill out that form).

Why is the Duke deadline so early?

The Duke deadline needs to be so early because we need to interview all of our many applicants. Over the past four years - when we have averaged nearly 60 applicants per year - that took more than two weeks to accomplish. Because of the large number of interviews and the limited availability of faculty interviewers, we need to set the interview appointments and will present to you via email a date and time at which we need you to be present. We request that you adjust your schedule to conform to this date/time. If you do have an inflexible conflict, let us know and we’ll try to re-schedule your interview. A Duke class does NOT constitute an inflexible conflict

How does one apply for a grant?

Students enrolled at Duke University at the time of application must apply through the Duke Fulbright Program Adviser (FPA).  Applicants who are not currently enrolled (at-large) may apply through Duke or obtain application forms and information directly from IIE.

When is the application deadline?

The application deadline is late October, 2005 for all grants for the 2006-2007 academic year.

Can grantees obtain credit for their year abroad?

Because most foreign universities do not use the credit system, there is no guarantee that Duke student will receive credit for work done abroad.  If you desire credit for work done abroad, you must make arrangements with Duke, preferably prior to departure.

Are younger students at a disadvantage in the competition?

No.  The J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board looks favorably on qualified graduating seniors, who are still in the process of developing specific career plans.  In fact, such applicants benefit greatly from the international skills and awareness they gain as a Fulbright Scholar, which will be invaluable as they embark on their careers.

What types of forms are required?

There is a single application form for all types of grants:  Fulbright Full and Travel grants, Teaching Assistantships, etc.  Since candidates may apply generally only to one country, one application suffices for all awards to that country for which an applicant is eligible.  For example, candidates applying to Germany are considered not only for the Fulbright Full and Travel Grants, but also for the Bavarian State Government Grants, or the Germanistic Society of America-Quadrille Awards, provided they satisfy all the qualifications for each of the awards.  There is no need to file a separate application for each award.

How can one apply for summer grants?

There are no summer grants available under the IIE-administered portion of the Fulbright Program.  IIE, however, does administer several non-Fulbright study abroad programs that are available during the summer.

Can IIE-administered awards be used to obtain a medical degree overseas?

No.  However, if candidates already have an M.D. or the equivalent and wish to continue medical or hospital training or to obtain additional practical clinical experience abroad, they may apply for an award through IIE.

What about candidates who have a Ph.D.?

Applicants who do not hold a Ph.D. degree by late October, 2004 may apply for an IIE-administered award to any country, even though they may anticipate receiving the Ph.D. degree before taking up the grant.  Others who hold Ph.D.s should inquire about Fulbright Research Grants or Fulbright Scholar Grants through the Council for the International Exchange of Scholars.

What kind of supplementary documentation must candidates in the arts provide?

Specifications regarding supplementary material are provided in the application form. These instructions should be followed closely, particularly with regard to numbers of slides to submit.  If no specific instructions are provided for your particular field of study (e.g., electronic music), you are free to submit whatever material you feel is appropriate and best illustrates your abilities.

What does the National Screening Committee look for in reviewing applications?

The National Screening Committee looks very closely at all application materials. Specifically, the Statement of Proposed Study is reviewed very carefully.  Considerations include the nature of the project, its originality, the academic preparation for completing the project described, and any additional investigation the student has undertaken to ensure that resources to accomplish the project are available in the proposed host country.  The screening committee also takes into account factors such as academic and professional achievement, demonstrated leadership potential, and community involvement. Successful grantees are expected to exhibit these and other related qualities that demonstrate their flexibility and aptitude for success in an unfamiliar environment abroad.

On-Campus Deadline: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 (4.00 p.m.)

back to the top