What is Project Child?
Project Child provides first-year students with an extended orientation to Duke University and the greater Durham Community. Through weekly tutoring, participants expand their perspective of educational issues and civic engagement. Duke's Program in Education, Office of Community Affairs, and Division of Student Affairs collaborate in sponsoring Project Child.
As a Project Child-er you will:
- Contribute to the Duke-Durham Neighborhood Partnership by voluntering in the community
- Develop friendships with peers interested in working in the community through tutoring and reflecting on your experiences
- Explore educational career opportunities
- Establish community service as an integral part of your life at Duke
- Spend a year engaging in experiences that will increase your awareness of issues of social justice and at-risk youth
What kind of commitment is Project Child?
Two hours per week
For more information, contact us at:
Program in Education
Liz Henderson (919) 660-3079